Charles Web Debugging Proxy updated to v3.4
Charles is an HTTP proxy / HTTP monitor / Reverse Proxy that enables a developer to view all of the HTTP traffic between their machine and the Internet. This includes requests, responses and the HTTP headers (which contain the cookies and caching information).
Major changes and new features. SSL proxying has been changed to be opt-in per site, rather than on for all sites by default. This is to reduce user problems with Charles’s SSL certificates. Charles also uses a new SSL CA certificate.
Please note that the Charles config file in version 3.4 is not backwards compatible. Charles makes a backup of the 3.3.1 config file when you first start Charles 3.4 in case you need to downgrade.
- SSL Proxying
- Added an explicit list of locations for which SSL proxying will be enabled. You can add to this list by right-clicking on host names in the Structure view.
- Support for client SSL certificates for authentication. See the Client SSL Certificates option in the Proxy menu.
- Setting to use your own SSL CA certificate for Charles to use (PKCS12 format)
- Charles’s generated SSL certificates can now be permanently trusted in the browser, as an alternative to trusting the CA certificate
- Mac OS X Leopard and Snow Leopard SSL certificate fixes
- Recording settings
- Separate include and exclude lists, for people who exclusively want to record specific sites in Charles
- Location matching
- Location matching now supports query strings
- Location path matching no longer implicitly adds a * after the final /, so you can more accurately match paths. Existing patterns will be ported on upgrade.
- Content viewers
- XML text view performance improvements using a new layout engine
- Syntax highlighted HTML
- Line numbers can now be used in combination with word wrap
- Diff request/responses. Including experimental tree-diff support for XML and AMF etc.
- AMF / Flex
- Improved error messages in the event of invalid data
- AMF3 over HTTP support
- AMF editor â€“ change the type of a property
- AMF3 support added for LiveCycle DS externalizable classes
- Improved display of Flex method calls in transaction info
- Rewrite tool: Add to the response Notes field to describe the Rewrite rules that have been applied
- Rewrite tool: can now add to empty query strings
- Map Local & Map Remote in the contextual menu
- Mac OS X
- Mac OS X Snow Leopard look and feel improvements
- Mozilla Firefox
- Auto-install Firefox add-on
- Bug fixes
- Fix hang with certain Nvidia graphics cards
- Find results sorting
- Fix lsof and netstat runaway processes in Client Process tool
- Minor enhancements
- Add -config command line switch to specify config file location
- Support for ; as an alternative for & in query strings
- WinHTTP proxy settings autoconfiguration
- Web Interface improvements â€“ now export & clear sessions, enable/disable any tool
- Record how long it takes to send the request â€“ improves latency calculation on uploads
- Brief details of each response are shown in the Structure view tree
- Headless support using -headless command-line switch