CAINE (Computer Aided INvestigative Environment) 0.5 available
CAINE offers a complete forensic environment that is organized to integrate existing software tools as software modules and to provide a friendly graphical interface.
The main design objectives that CAINE aims to guarantee are the following:
- an interoperable environment that supports the digital investigator during the four phases of the digital investigation
- a user friendly graphical interface
- a semi-automated compilation of the final report
- WinTaylor, forensic frontend for Windows environment
- Html page IE-compatible to run the forensic tools in Windows
- Ntfs-3g updated to 2009.1.1 (resolve a ntfs-3g bug)
- New boot option: text mode.
- Ubuntu 8.04 packages updated
- Firefox 3.0.6
- Gtkhash, frontend for hashing files
- New reporting features: investigators and case name added
- Multi-language report: italian, english, german, french and portuguese
- Firefox starts with the list of tools and a brief utilization manual
WinTaylor is the new forensic interface built for Windows and included in CAINE Live CD. It is written in Visual Basic 6 to maximize compatibility with older Windows systems, and provides an internal set of well-known forensic programs.
WinTaylor proposes a simple and complete forensic software integration and inherits the design philosophy of CAINE.
To ensure transparency of the operations performed by WinTaylor during its execution, we have made available the source code of the program, that is licensed under the Lesser GPL License 2.1. The code is visible and editable, for the benefit of developers and to preserve the good standards of open source forensic software.
The interface is structured in the familiar CAINEâ€™s tabs style, and implements the well-known reporting system to record the investigative sessions.
- Report creation tool, that saves in a plain and portable text file the list of used programs with time-stamps .
- Tabbed structure that gives a logical schema to the investigation process.
- Command-line tools that print their output inside WinTaylor.
- Updated Sysinternals tools
- Versatile hashing tool
- Snapshot tool