NST Network Security Toolkit 1.8.1 released
The Network Security Toolkit is a bootable ISO live CD/DVD is based on Fedora 8. The toolkit was designed to provide easy access to best-of-breed Open Source Network Security Applications and should run on most x86 platforms.
This release is based on Fedora 8 using the Linux Kernel: "184.108.40.206-57.fc8". Here are some of the highlights for this release:
- Enhanced the management of snort IDS systems via the NST WUI. It is much easier to setup a federation of snort IDS sensors with backend mysql IDS collector(s).
- The addition of the "WebDAV Resources" packages. This allows interacting with devices such as the Apple iPod touch using the Air Sharing application.
- Major updates to nmap and its related tools including better support in the NST WUI for managing nmap results.
- Added access terminal server functionality using minicom from the NST WUI. This allows one to manage and connect to many serial ports remotely.
- Enhanced the monitoring of serial data streams using the NST WUI. This includes detailed documentation and diagram.
- Support for saving and loading packet capture and display filters in the single and multi-tap network packet capture sections of the NST WUI.
- Added support scripts for using a USB modem to connect to the Sprint PCS Mobile Broadband service.
- Updated the NST WUI with support for taking GPS enhanced kismet capture files and producing KML output files which can be viewed in Google Earth or Google Maps.
- Many clean ups and minor enhancements have been made to the NST WUI.
- As always, the networking and security applications included have been updated to their latest version (See the "Change Log" for individual package updates).