KNOPPIX 6.2.1 LiveCD available
KNOPPIX is a bootable Live system on CD or DVD, consisting of a representative collection of GNU/Linux software, automatic hardware detection, and support for many graphics cards, sound cards, SCSI and USB devices and other peripherals. KNOPPIX can be used as a productive Linux system for the desktop, educational CD, rescue system, or adapted and used as a platform for commercial software product demos. It is not necessary to install anything on a hard disk. Due to on-the-fly decompression, the CD can have up to 2 GB of executable software installed on it (over 8GB on the DVD "Maxi" edition).
KNOPPIX is a compilation of GNU/Linux software, run completely from CD, DVD or flash disk. It automatically detects and supports a wide range of graphics adapters, sound cards, USB devices and other peripheral devices. KNOPPIX can be used as a Linux demo, for training courses , as rescue system or as a platform for commercial software product demos. It is not necessary to install anything on fixed disk. Because of its transparent decompression, up to 2 gigabyes of executable software can be present on a CD, and up to 10GB on a single-layered DVD.
"Microknoppix" is a complete rewrite of the KNOPPIX boot system from version 60 and up, with the following features:
- High compatibility with its Debian base: Aside from configuration files, nothing gets changed in Debians standard installation.
- Accellerated boot procedure: Independently from the usual SysV bootscripts, multiple tasks of system initialization are run in parallel, so that interactive desktops are reached very fast.
- LXDE is used as graphical environment, which is a very slim and fast desktop with extremely short starttime and low resource requirements. Because of its GTK2 base, LXDE works together nicely with screenreader Orca.
- Amount of installed software has been greatly reduced in this first CD-version, so that custom remasters based on CD are possible again. On the DVD edition, KDE4 and Gnome with many applications originating from these popular desktops are available.
- Network configuration is being handled by NetworkManager with nm-applet in graphics mode, and textual GUIs in textmode (compatible to Debians /etc/network/interfaces specification).
- A persistent image for saving personal settings and additionally installed programs, KNOPPIX/knoppix-data.img, is supported on the boot device, optionally encrypted with AES/256bit. In general, installation as live system on flash disk is recommended.