Flint the Firewall Rules Checkup Scanner updated to v1.0.4
Flint examines firewalls, quickly computes the effect of all the configuration rules, and then spots problems so you can:
- CLEAN UP RUSTY CONFIGURATIONS that are crudded up with rules that canâ€™t match traffic.
- ERADICATE LATENT SECURITY PROBLEMS lurking in overly-permissive rules
- SANITY CHECK CHANGES to see if new rules create problems.
Flint is absolutely free. Thereâ€™s no catch. You can download the source from our git repository. This isnâ€™t the "play at home" version; itâ€™s our second product, and we want to do it open source.
Now, Flint could be downloaded as VMWare Virtual Machine or OVF Virtual Machine
Why you need Flint
You have multiple firewalls protecting internal networks from the Internet and controlling access to customer data. Your business changes, and so do your firewalls, and not always at the same time. Firewalls can get out of step with policies.
Everybody makes mistakes. To understand a firewall configuration, you have to read hundreds of configuration lines, and then you have to think like a firewall does. People aren’t good at thinking like firewalls. So most firewalls are riddled with subtle mistakes. Some of those mistakes can be expensive:
- INSECURE SERVICES might be allowed through the firewall, preventing it from blocking attacks.
- LAX CONTROLS ON DMZs may expose staging and test servers.
- FIREWALL MANAGEMENT PORTS may be exposed to untrusted networks.
- REDUNDANT FIREWALL RULES may be complicating your configuration and slowing you down.
What You Can Do With Flint
CHECK RULES BEFORE DEPLOYING THEM Flint prevents engineers from making costly mistakes. It takes just moments for Flint to evaluate a ruleset and spot errors. Your team can have it up and running in minutes. Flint is low-drag, no drama.
CLEAN UP RUSTY RULESETS Flint does the hard work of scouring firewall rules for useless crud, saving you time and allowing your team to focus on engineering problems that really matter. Flint can spot redundant and contradictory rules, and Flint makes it easier to spot business-level problems.
COMPREHEND COMPLEX CONFIGURATIONS Flint doesn’t just check firewalls for problems. It also fully understands the meanings of configuration lines, and breaks them down for you by service or by interface, so you can see at a glance what any given firewall is doing.